Friday, February 27, 2009

Back To Florida

Wednesday was by far my favorite day. I woke up early grabbed my fishing gear, and headed to Bocca Chica Key. It was only a few short miles north of Key West. I was told to find the old U.S. Highway 1 and fish along the coast. It was a beautiful morning, I watched the sun rise as I put the old fly rod together. I love watching the sun come up over the ocean, its was truly a wonderful sight. I spent the next few hours wading the coast in search of anything that had some fins and a tail. Truth be told I didn't find much, but the experience was awesome all the same.

That afternoon we made plans to take a boat ride off the coast of Key West to some mangrove islands to do some kayaking and snorkeling. I was a little worried going on this excursion with a 5 month old, but was reassured if anything did happen we would race back to shore. As we left the key we were accompanied by a couple of dolphins, a rare sight from my understanding, Karli loved it. The first part of the trip was a guided kayak tour around a mangrove island. I stayed on board and feed Teagan while everyone else went on the tour. From what I was told it was a very interesting trip. The water is only 6 maybe 8 feet deep at its deepest, so you can see everything. They saw everything from nurse sharks to live conchs. After that we went snorkeling through a protected reef. The water was pretty chilly, but we swam around for 45-50 minutes. It was amazing. So many different species of fish to find as well as one nurse shark, an eel, huge lobsters, a couple of stingrays, and a disgusting sea cucumber. As the sun started to set we packed up and sailed for home. What a day, watched the sun rise on the flats and watched it set on the deck of a sailboat, what a beautiful day.

Thursday was yet another lazy relaxing day. We drove about an hour north to one of the few beaches in the keys. The beach was in the Bahia Honda State Park. This was Teagan's first time in the ocean, and she didn't like it at all. It was a great beach, but there was one small problem with it. There were Portuguese Man of War all over. I even got stung once taking Karli and Teagan's picture. Fortunately most of them were dead on the shore. After that we headed home, and then went out for diner.

Friday after the cold front came in and the rains left, we headed out to do some more sightseeing. Karli and I had not seen the southern most point yet so we had to do that first. It was nice, now I can say I've been there. Only 90 miles from Cuba. Then it was off to Hemingway's house. That guy had the life. Up every morning at 6 write until lunch or 600 words whatever came first. Then out to fish until sunset. Then out to his favorite watering hole. When he would eventually stumble home by way of the lighthouse located across the street from his house. This lighthouse was the main reason for purchasing his lovely home. I guess came in handy on a few occasions. The property was home to,if memory serves 43 cats. They are all descendants of a cat one of Hemingway's sons brought home, Snowball. Snowball had 6 toes. A 6 toed cat was good luck on a ship, so Hemingway kept and bread him. The new owners of the house have kept the tradition going, producing a few 6 toed cats on the way. The next day was spent traveling, and flying home. Another spectacular performance by Teagan. Can't wait to go back, just as long as there is more fishing involved.
http://widget-a7.slide.com/widgets/slideticker.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" scale="noscale" salign="l" wmode="transparent" flashvars="cy=bb&il=1&channel=3026418949602687399&site=widget-a7.slide.com" style="width:400px;height:320px" name="flashticker" align="middle">

2 comments:

maggie said...

sounds like such a fun trip. the smith gang really needs to plan something like this in the near future! ;-) love the pictures. can't wait to see you guys in april. i'm getting so excited! love you!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the travel post. I expecially love the pictures of Teagan. Hurry to Missouri. I need some Teagan time. I miss you guys. Love to all. Mom