Saturday, May 15, 2010

What a Beautiful Day

Southeast Nebraska was blessed yesterday with one of those top 10 days of the year. Sunny, 70 degrees, and the most important no wind. Well maybe a little wind, but anything around 5mph is considered awesome. After a rainy week I had the day off and decided not to waste it. After the girls left for school I packed up the belly boat and headed out. I began my day by targeting monster bluegill and crappie, with plenty of success. They are always fun on a light fly rod. The water is still pretty cool, and the bass bite has been fairly slow. So I waited for the day to warm up before I went searching for those 20" Large mouths. So I headed for the west bank and hooked six in 15 minutes. I didn't find that 20", but they were all over 14". The biggest was a fat healthy 18.5". That big beauty bent my 4wt. fly rod straight to the surface of the water. After those fish I headed home, and spent the rest of the day with my favor baby girl. You guessed it we ended up playing outside all afternoon into the evening, 7:30 bedtime was not happening last night. She's paying for it now as she has been napping all afternoon. Got to love those afternoon naps.



Big boy of the day


4 comments:

maggie said...

sounds like a wonderful day!!! glad you got to enjoy it. love ya.

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty good! Another week and I can enjoy them with you . . . I love summer!!!!

Maki said...

Love the picture of the fish. I can't wait to sit on the beach and watch you fish. Love you.

Craig Smith said...

You go! Sounds like a great day and wish I could have been with you. Can't wait to hear about the Western Nebraska trip. SLY